A luxury villa to rent on Shela beach, Lamu, Kenya
Price Guide 2021:
Rates are available on request
- Staffed by a minimum of 5 professional, friendly staff including an excellent cook
- 5 bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms & adjoining terraces
- An extra 2 or 3 people can be accommodated if required
- Private pool (10m)
- Direct access to 12km Shela beach
- Private garden
- Large terrace with 270-degree ocean views
- Multiple lounging areas, terraces, verandas & day beds
- Plasma TV, DVD player, stereo, iPod docking stations & selection of CDs, films, books & games
- Massage, beauty treatments & yoga classes on request
- Possible activities include: kitesurfing, waterskiing, wakeboarding, tubing, kayaking, scuba diving, swimming with dolphins, whale- & turtle-watching (in season), deep-sea fishing, dhow cruises, deserted beach picnics & guided tours of Lamu Old Town
- There are regular scheduled flights between Nairobi & Lamu; flights take between 1 hr 40 mins & 2 hrs depending on the aircraft
- Guests are met at Lamu airport & transferred to the house
- Shela village & Peponi Hotel within walking distance
- Lamu Old Town 5 mins by boat or 30 to 40 mins walk
Built in authentic Swahili style, Forodhani House is a large whitewashed villa situated on a 12km stretch of pristine white sand on the beautiful island of Lamu.
The house has five en-suite bedrooms, all with shaded terraces and magnificent ocean views. The ground floor comprises a large kitchen, where the excellent cook works her magic, a beautiful dining terrace, a spacious lounge and a pool that looks out across the ocean.
Inside, everywhere is beautifully decorated, with a carefully curated a mix of hand-woven rugs, light curtains, antique coffee tables and old wooden chests. There are plenty of lounging areas, terraces, shady verandas and welcoming day beds, as well as Arabic arches that frame the sea and sky and remind you where you are.
Once outside you’re immediately struck by the 270-degree views of the ocean, and it’s not uncommon to look up from the breakfast table and spot schools of sardines jumping to escape barracuda, or dolphins swimming up the channel.
The village of Shela is right behind the house and has a great collection of markets and shops. Guided tours of Lamu Old Town, a UNESCO-listed site, can also be arranged.
Or you may simply want to spend your time on the beach. You can walk for miles along soft white sand from the steps of the villa, or try your hand at anything from kitesurfing to kayaking. Turtles come to nest and lay their eggs on these beaches, and you can even spot humpback and blue whales in season.
This is just a selection of some of the villas we represent. We are constantly on the lookout for new properties to add to our portfolio and are always delighted to look for that very special house if you haven’t found what you are looking for. Properties are available throughout the year by arrangement.
So do call, we would love to talk to you.