A private island to rent 30km off the coast of Tanzania
Sleeps: 10 + 9 children
Price Guide 2021:
From US$25,000 per night
Plus conservation & marine park levy
Minimum stay 5 nights
Higher occupation on request
- Inclusive of all meals & selected drinks
- Chef, butler & hostess
- Housekeeper, waiters, barman & boatmen
- Main House:
5 king-size bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms, air conditioning & 4-poster beds
- Traditional Beach Bandas:
2 open-sided, two-storey bandas, each with an en-suite master bedroom on the ground floor & 2 single beds on the first floor (on request at extra charge)
- Glass infinity pool on the beach
- Direct access to a private 1.1km beach
- Wraparound dining area with 180-degree ocean views
- Pizza oven, barbecue & cocktail bar
- Air-conditioned gym & floodlit tennis court
- Helicopter pad, indoor aquarium, library, variety of musical instruments & magnificent wine collection
- Spa treatments, yoga, meditation & reiki on request
- Exclusive access to the surrounding Shungimbili Island Marine Reserve including swimming with whale sharks from October to March
- Use of 3 boats (28ft, 34ft & 36ft) with captain & crew
- Sailing dinghies, jet skis, kayaks, SUP boards, waterskis, wakeboards, banana boats, snorkelling & big game fishing
- Diving trips off nearby Mafia Island on request
- Direct flight to Julius Nyerere international airport, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Chartered flight to Mafia Island from Dar es Salaam 30 mins
- Boat charter from Mafia Island to Thanda Island 30-45 mins
- Helicopter direct from Dar es Salaam to Thanda 45 mins
Few holidays compare to hiring your own private island, off limits to everyone but the staff and whoever you choose to bring.
Lying 30km off mainland Tanzania, in a marine reserve home to turtles, stingrays and migrating whale sharks, lies an island playground like few others we know.
Thanda Island was little more than a blip in the ocean before the Olofsson family took it on over a decade ago. The private villa they built has been designed in plantation-house style, with deep, wraparound verandas and five beautiful air-conditioned bedrooms, each with a four-poster bed. If required, further beds for children can be set up in the bedrooms.
The villa offers everything you’d want from an extravagant beach house, plus plenty more you never knew you needed, like an indoor aquarium, a Steinway grand piano, an excellent wine collection, a cigar humidor and a wraparound dining area with 180-degree views of the ocean. And though off the grid and 100% self-sufficient, the house still has great WiFi and mobile reception.
Away from the main house and sat right on the beach are a couple of two-storey, open-sided, traditional beach bandas. Perfect for teenagers, each of the bandas has a king-sized bedroom and en-suite bathroom on the ground floor and two further single beds on the first floor. Air cooled and beautifully decorated with locally carved furniture and fabrics from Mafia Island, they offer laidback island living with exquisite ocean views.
Outside are romantic copper beach baths, a glass-sided infinity pool, a cocktail bar, pizza oven and an outdoor sala overlooking the ocean used for yoga, meditation, reiki and spa treatments.
Life here unsurprisingly revolves around the ocean and the boat house is crammed with SUP boards, kayaks, banana boats, wakeboards, snorkelling gear and even a pair of jet skis.
Three larger boats along with captain and crew are also at your disposal. Scuba diving trips to nearby Mafia Island can easily be arranged, and game fishing season runs September until March, with sailfish often caught from November to January.
However, the highlight in the water is often swimming with whale sharks, the world’s largest fish, which feed just south of Thanda Island from October until March.
The seafood is incredible too, with the likes of fresh lobster, red-snapper ceviche, seared tuna and prawns as big as langoustines appearing regularly on the menu.
This is just a selection of some of the villas we represent. We are constantly on the lookout for new properties to add to our portfolio and are always delighted to look for that very special house if you haven’t found what you are looking for. Properties are available throughout the year by arrangement.
So do call, we would love to talk to you.